Author Topic: BigMike's Big Mini Japanese Vacation  (Read 31780 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: BigMike's Big Mini Japanese Vacation
« on: Jun 19, 2010, 07:54:59 PM »
Ok guys, I am way behind with the pics, so I am just gonna comment really briefly on these or else this thread will turn into one of my build threads (ie. stop because updates are overwhelming)

Heading to S.F. to stay with Zembalayan's

I found Bill's 4Runner!! :woohoo:

Here is little Billy! He is extremely cute!

Here is the Zembalayan family: Tomoko, Bill, and Little Billy

Saying good by at the S.F. airport

Heading to the plane

My AWESOME back row seat

The view from the back of the 777

Leaving American soil at 12:08 PM

Cruising the friendly sky at 545 MPH

Got some delicious green tea and pretzels at 12:53 PM. I drank about 10 cups of Green Tea throughout the flight, that and water was all I drank.

The first meal served at 1:41 PM. It was rice, spinach, and some sort of vegetable mabodofu, which was excellent

The in-flight movie setup was pretty nice, much better than the last time I flew in 2006. I could choose between 7 different movies, but the only bummer is that I couldn't control any movie, they would just play straight through (no pause/rewind/etc controls). After each movie was finished, it would display a "Please select another channel" message until the last movie (the longest movie) had completed. Then it would delay about 15 mins and then it would restart all 9 movies. So I only had 1 chance about every 2.5 hours to be able to watch a movie from the beginning. I didn't mind too much, because after all I just needed something to kill the time. Watching two movies would erase about 5 hours instantly from the flight.

The movie list was alright I guess, but it had some questionable entries.
How to Train Your Dragon
WALL-E
The Book of Eli
Edge of Darkness
Alice in Wonderland
Dear John
Some Like It Hot

I watched how to train your dragon twice (because I missed the first 30 mins the first time), then WALL-E, then parts of the book of Eli, the Edge of Darkness, and then the ending to Some Like It Hot. I was pretty surprised that they had movies like The Book of Eli and the Edge of Darkness that had a lot of blood, killing, unnecessary violence, and cussing. There were a LOT of kids on the flight, and the LCD displays had a VERY narrow viewing angle. So if I had a kid and he was sitting next to me, I would have to lean way across into his line of sight in order to see what he is watching. Anyway, just something I was thinking about while sitting on the plane for ever

JAPAN!!!! 11:17PM This is a pic of the many landfills at Osaka near the International Airport, itself a landfill

The exact time the flights took from take off to touch down was 11 hours 11 mins. I thought that was REALLY fast. I remember it taking about 13 hours last time, hmmmmmm
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki