Author Topic: STUPID LAWS  (Read 20944 times)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: STUPID LAWS
« Reply #30 on: Feb 08, 2010, 03:28:02 PM »
Nate, how is a helmet law any different than gun laws that restrict ownership?  

Uh...there is no Constitutionally guaranteed right to ride without a helmet.

The Libertarian in me wants as little government interference in our daily lives as is possible...just shy of anarchy. Society's attempt to "protect" itself financially from the idiotic actions of some, have always infringed on the rights of others. I wouldn't ride a bike without a helmet for all the tea in China...but, the Conservative in me can't bring myself to force another to act as I see fit. I think a reasonable work-around to the whole helmet issue would be to require anyone wanting to risk splattering their brain all over the nearest Armco barrier to:

Sign and carry a DNR release.

Post a bond or carry an assigned risk insurance policy.

There are enough stupid people in this world...that we can afford to lose a few without having to pony up an enormous hospital bill when one of them doesn't quite make it to Darwin Award status.

Otherwise...I'll just keep tuning in "World Worst Drivers" and shaking my head.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)