Author Topic: Simple DIY bumpers (2nd gen 4runner)  (Read 25404 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Simple DIY bumpers (2nd gen 4runner)
« on: Nov 28, 2009, 04:14:01 PM »
Looks like a good start to me!  I wouldn't move the wings in much, if at all :thumbs:  I'd definitely gusset the bumper mounts, but other than that, I think it looks good :yesnod:  It'll look awesome once its all done and the receiver is in it.

As far as the jerry can bracket, I've got a buddy who got one of the premade "baskets" for the jerry can, and then welded two 4"x 12" or so pieces on the long sides of the basket.  He cut a 3/8"x2" slot through the tops, about 2" down, and on the front one, a link of chain just under the slot.  When he has his jerry can in the bracket, he slides an 8" or so piece of 2"x3/8" bar throughh the two slots in the front back of the basket, under the jerry can handle, and then puts a padlock through the chain link, and a hole drilled in the 2" piece.  The lock keeps the 2" flat bar from sliding out, and he's got the flatbar just barely off the jerry can, and it is padded, so it doesn't rattle and keeps the can from moving.  Unlock the lock, pull the flat bar, and lift the jerry can straight up and out.  :thumbs: 

He can also use the flatbar as a wrench to open the jerry can lid, which comes in handy for him (lives in South Dakota), and the can lid can freeze on.

Hope that explanation made sense, I've got no pictures, but I can try to draw it out later if you'd like.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent