Author Topic: 84 4Runner Buildup - Last minute summer mods  (Read 309603 times)

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
I needed a cheap project to work on since I don't have any money to start any big projects.  I've been gathering stuff for rock lights for years (like 6  :greengrin: ) and I figured this would be a great time to put it all together.

I also wanted a fuse block to be able to add electrical components like a CB & additional 12v power sources.

I decided to go with 2 6-port fuse blocks.  I also bought an ABS plastic project box from Radio Shack to hold all the fuse blocks and relays for the lights.  

For lights, I have a pair of 6" KC lights that I plan on putting on the front bumper.  I also have 2 sets of small 55w lights from Wal-mart that are designed to go on the front of a small car.  They fit perfect in the places I wanted them.  I want one set on the front bumper pointed down in front of the front tires and another set between the F&R tires along the frame.  I also have a rectangle set of lights to point behind the rear tires.

The 6" KC's will be on their own relay and switch.  The 4 small rock lights in front and middle of the 4Runner will be on their own relay and switch.  And the rear 2 lights get their own relay and switch.

Onto the pictures!

I plan on putting the project box with all the stuff in it on the left hand side.  It will mount on the passenger side fender and on top of the shock hoop.  I will have to relocate one thing.

Top view of the box with the fuse block mounted on the sides, relays in the middle and all the wires running out of the side.  Each fuse block has 8ga wire feeding it.  The left relay is a 40a that feeds the front KC lights.  The middle is a 40a that will run the 4 small rock lights and the right relay will run the back lights.  The power & ground wires for the relays are 12ga and the wire for the switch will be 18ga.

Pics of the side mounted fuse blocks.  Plently of room to expand if needed.

Close up of the relays and wires

Front 6" KC lights that I got for free 6 years ago from a friend.  They should work out fine on the front bumper.  When I get some time, I will paint them black rather than the worn out chrome.

I've got 2 sets of these small lights for the front and middle rock lights.

Rear lights

Overall shot of my tailgate work bench with all the wire, connectors, and other crap   :)   The battery jump box has been nice, I've been able to test my wiring before I put it in the truck.  I tested all 3 relays and they all work as planned.

I'm done with the project box, I now need to get it installed under the hood. mount the 8 lights and get some power wires ran to each of them.  I hope to get it done this week before my wheeling trip next weekend.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!