Author Topic: Need advice/repair help on 89 Toyota Pickup-Shift Fork  (Read 3459 times)

GP2001

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
They make these things called repair manuals. I'd start by picking one up. :thumbs:
Ha ha, yes that would be a good choice. I would definitely do that if I got the truck, just trying to get some info before I bought it to see how much it would be worth. I'll have to track down a factory service manual for it, I'm not new to wrenching around cars so with that it shouldn't be too terrible for me (hopefully). I'll have to go check out the truck soon and see what type of condition it is in besides that.

In a way, I'd rather get a superb quality truck that works other than a bad cutch/trans and replace it with what I know is good rather than a truck that's in "good" condition.(often the trans problem depreciates the former to far less than the "good" truck.)
That's exactly what I am trying to do. I have been looking for labor intensive jobs that require low cost parts from people who don't do their own work. I don't mind putting in the blood and sweat ( and sometimes tears) necessary to get something running nice for a good price. Two years ago I got a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder for $100 from my friends Mom, needed a timing belt, water pump, and some other odds and ends. Only $200 in parts, but the mechanic wanted $1500 to do it and she just wanted it off her insurance. I fixed it, drove it for over a year, then traded it in for $1500. I do miss it dearly, but it had 6 codes thrown that were too expensive to deal with, one of the reasons I want OBD-1 so I don't need to worry as much. Now its time for another winter beater for the snow and some mild off road fun.