Author Topic: Knuckle Centering Issue  (Read 3707 times)

ntsqd

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 148
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
Re: Knuckle Centering Issue
« on: Oct 08, 2009, 07:28:03 PM »
I thought that I'd show a picture of the tool that I made prior to learning about the Camber issue. With some thought the tool may still have some uses for checking, but maybe not for setting the centering of the knuckles.

The large OD step on the aluminum piece fits the seal bore tightly. If I were going to make it again I would include a bigger third diameter flange that would sit on the face where the seal's flange stops. The smallest diameter fits into the bore of the seal itself so that checking can happen with the seals installed. I used the same diameter as the seal installation tool that Marlin sells for this feature. The small diameter on the piece of Plexiglas fits into the spindle locating bore on the knuckle. The bolt through the plexi is necessary to keep the thinness of the plexi from allowing it to wobble on the tube.

The small tool on the lower left is for pushing the caps out of the bearings. Sure beats any other method that I've used. It is just a piece of 1/2-13 B7 All-thread inside a piece of bar stock bored to accept it. Had 1/2-20 been laying around I'd have preferred to use that. The SHCS in the slot is threaded into the side of the all-thread and keeps the all-thread from spinning inside of the bar stock. One of my caps was tight enough to need some channel-locks to hold the bar stock and keep it from spinning. I contemplated adding some sort of threaded-on handle, but getting the tool inside of the knuckle can be a bit of a challenge so I decided that channel-locks method was fine.
Cross threaded is tighter than Locktite