Poll

which is stronger stock for stock, toyota axle or 10 bolt

toyota solid axle
chevy 10 bolt

Author Topic: toyota solid axle vs. 10 bolt  (Read 7998 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: toyota solid axle vs. 10 bolt
« on: Aug 05, 2009, 02:06:16 PM »
Install all depends on your level of skill and willingness to fab, and what you've got laying around.  Even if you bought all the parts, the fullwidth kit from sky is $239, you can use a dl flange from a ford 8.8 (junkyard special) and you're good to go.  Gears are in the $150 range, and all the steering is the same as the D44. 

If you go homebrew, you can build your own hanger, get the dl flange as mentioned, and make your own shackles. 

If you already had a toyota SA under the truck, I wouldn't bother with the 10 bolt, but if your doing a SAS, it might be a good cheap way to go. 

One of the advantages of the toy vs. 10 bolt is the birfield bell.  I've had explained better before, but when turning, in a toyota, you've got full contact through that joint, because of the way the joint is set up.  With the 10 bolt, you've got U joints there, so you've really only got 4 points of contact, which puts a lot of stress on both the yoke ears, and the U joint itself.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent