Author Topic: oil additives  (Read 3128 times)

jr9162

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 512
  • Member since Sep '04
  • No nookie like Chinookie no butts like Halibuts
    • View Profile
Re: oil additives
« on: Jan 06, 2005, 01:50:16 PM »
Snip

P.S. my Turbo Yota doesn't seem to like the Amsoil.  I'm gettin a lot of oil consumption with it.  I didn't get that with Mobil 1.  I can't explain it.  Sythetics burn at higher temps.  I don't know why it comsumed so much.  The motor is fresh with about 12k on it.  Because of the Turbo I go 3k miles between changes, the oil gets pretty dirty, and I drive it hard.

I believe Amsoil is slicker than Mobil One is. When one starts using synthetics in an engine with mileage on it, and all those miles were on conventional oil, s/he may experience higher consumption because of the wear in the engine. It just doesn't have as tight tolerances as it did when new. If the owner had used synethetics from the beginning, there'd be a lot less wear and probably no excessive consumption.

Yes synthetics tolerate higher temperatures before breaking down and/or burning. A turbo is hard on the engine oil. I think you're getting more than normal blowby on your piston rings under boost. You stated you drive the vehicle hard, and that means the engine is making boost under a load. That may explain the dirty oil. I see the same thing on my F250's Powerstroke. Turbo diesels coke the oil pretty bad. I change mine every 3000 miles and I know the engine would be happer if I did it every 2500. It's possible your oil consumption is due to less than optimum ring gap. Are they moly, cast, or chrome rings? I'm presuming an engine rebuild 12k miles ago.... Have you ran synthetics in it since it was broken in?

You may want to do a leak down compression test on the engine. Check and make sure the turbo charger itself isn't consuming some of the oil. I've seen a drop in oil consumption when switching to Mobil One if all other potential causes pan out negative. You can break in a new engine using Mobil One, it's hard, if not impossible, to do so with Amsoil.

JR

I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals
There's no nookie like chinookie
No butts like halibuts
Fish are not our friends, they're food.
Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist".