Author Topic: What front axle for 37's and 22RE?  (Read 4007 times)

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
Re: What front axle for 37's and 22RE?
« on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:12:35 PM »
Stock pickup/4runner solid axles are pretty stout units. Some people push them harder than others, so the upgrades are there. Some are pricey, and some are relatively cheap (you wouldn't have to buy many stock birf's to equal one of long's). That is what cheesemaker was saying. You can find deals for the stock front yota housings for anywhere from $150 and up. The cheaper ones usually cost the most to build, but you can save in the long run if you build before you install (no sense in paying for a lot of parts you are not going to use). Look in the for sale section, and you can get an idea of the cost you will be looking at. If you are going to run what you buy, do a good inspection (I would go ahead and rebuild the knuckles anyway).

The aftermarket housings are guaranteed to be right, so that is another option.

Then there are all of the other choices of axles: dana's, cruisers, full-width, 1-tons.

Look around and read up on the different ones, and figure where your "duty demand" will fall in the range of choices.

All that being said, what have you wheeled? on what (sand, rocks, mud, and/or trails)? and for how long? All of this should be taken into consideration before just hacking the IFS off. I am running IFS, and have more front crossmember clearance than I would have under my front axle (if it were solid) with the same size tires. Some people will say that the IFS is too weak. Yes, for some it is (especially those with the on/off throttle foot). But, for what it is, it is very strong. There are people on this board who crawl rocks with IFS (and they beat on them pretty hard) including some with crawlboxes. There are also people who say that they are better off for having started out on IFS, before swapping. With the IFS, you have to pay better attention to WHAT you are doing and HOW you are doing it, rather than just driving over something.

My :twocents: would be this. Put the engine in and wheel it. If you are dead set on swapping the axle in, find one and get it and all your parts ready to install it under the truck, then go out and see exactly how strong the IFS is. Go find some friends who have solid axles, and follow them. You will be surprised at how much the IFS will take. Then, If you do disable the IFS beyond repair, pull out your parts and go for it.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491