Author Topic: School me on car audio stuff  (Read 16633 times)

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
Re: School me on car audio stuff
« Reply #60 on: Dec 31, 2008, 12:02:42 AM »

If my math is correct:

In parallel, 2 ohm + 2 ohm = 4 ohm & 4 ohm + 4 ohm = 8 ohm

In serires, 2 ohm + 2 ohm = 1 ohm & 4 ohm + 4 ohm = 2 ohm

The math is correct, circuit type was incorrect though.  :yupyup:

One rule of thumb when looking at ratings of any audio equipment (I.E. amps, speakers, etc...) to somewhat gauge the quality of the equipment is this.

If you see the words/terms "Music power", "peak power" or "max power" preceded by it's wattage rating it can be safely assumed this is not a high quality unit. The difference between these terms and RMS usually is about twice that of the RMS rating. This rating is so false because you can't actually run the components in this wattage rating with it being highly distorted or at the risk of burning up.

If you see the rating lited as "RMS" then the rating is usually more solid and can lead you to a better quality unit simply because this rating is something that can be run at this power for continued periods without failure. In regards to amps as far as speaker loads go (Output ohm rating) along with the "RMS" rating the lower the "ohms" rating usually the better the unit. But make no mistake, the price will easily reflect this as well. How this matters basically is the lower the ohms of the "speaker load" the closer it is to being a "shorted circuit" which is why an amp will get hot and with better circuitry it can withstand more heat for longer periods before sucumbing to damage. Again, make no mistake a high quality amplifier still needs cooling and they will get hotter if they are loaded to their max.

Which brings up another point....your charging system. While you're adding all this cool stuff don't be fooled into thinking you can run it for hours while not running the engine or at real low speeds cause this stuff takes big power to run if you run big stuff. I've had stereo systems in excess of 1KW and they are a lot of fun after you work out all the bugs.

BTW, get an electronic crossover and make it all worth it! So much easier to hook up and far more adjustable and enjoyable.  :beerchug: HAve fun putting it all in.  :thumbs: