Poll

Which is the best tow? I'm driving them all and I'm going to buy one of these in the next month!

Ford f-250 Superduty Crew Cab 4x4 powerstroke
44 (31.9%)
Chevy Silverado 2500 duramax crew cab
30 (21.7%)
Dodge 2500 crew cab cummins
64 (46.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Tow rig Poll!  (Read 33867 times)

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
Re: Tow rig Poll!
« Reply #150 on: Dec 19, 2008, 09:34:56 AM »
Here is the most honest answer I can give you as far as which is the best.    The Ford and the Dodge weigh more than the Chevy so they will feel a bit more stable when pulling heavier weights but the chevy has more pulling power.  Most Diesel mag comparisons reflect this too.   However, the Chevy has the best engine/tranny combo.   I know this will piss of the Dodge guys because yes the Cummins is the heavy duty motor of the 3 but their trannys have always sucked, at least until they started putting in the Aisin automatics last year and the verdict is still not out on those.    The Duramax engine has the most factory HP and torque and the Allison 6spd is by far the strongest tranny of the bunch.   The Ford has had numerous problems with their engines ever since they stopped making the 7.3 in 2002.   

If you haven't already figured it out by now I am a little biased towards the Chevy.  I have a 2002 Duramax/Allison truck and my experience with it has been great.   It has 165,000 miles on it, all of which have had an Edge Juice box power adder.   I have replaced, 1 right wheel bearing(probably failed prematurely due to accident), Fuel injectors under warranty, 1 Alternator(last summer), rear brakes (just last summer also), both batteries (also just last summer).  Thats it.   Everything else is 100% original, including the front brakes.  If any Ford Or Dodge will give you that many trouble free low cost miles I would be amazed.   My buddy went through 3 transmissons in his same year Dodge with a similar amount of miles.   Also, I get an honest 18-20MPG in normal driving and 14-15MPG Towing my yota, which is far better that wither the Ford or Dodge ever will get.  With diesel still being expensive that is something to be considered. 

If you want to lift it or something or just want a solid axle truck then you want a FORD or DODGE but overall I would choose a Chevy again.  As far as cost you could probably swing the best deal with dodge though since they seem to be in the most trouble financially.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me