Author Topic: why was IFS invented?  (Read 2826 times)

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
Re: why was IFS invented?
« on: Dec 12, 2008, 05:32:06 PM »
IFS does not handle better on the road!  My 80 can rail the corners compared to an ifs rig, I've checked  :gap:
There is more to "handling" than just grip.  Your live axle keeps the tires square with the road even if the body leans, while a typical IFS setup will let the tires roll over into positive camber as the vehicle leans.  That reduces the contact patch and consequently reduces grip.  The cure is a more aggressive camber curve and more roll stiffness, but the camber curve plays hell with things when you're not cornering, and increasing roll stiffness end up...well...sort of riding like a live axle vehicle  :_oops:

Live axles are fine for going fast on a dead smooth road with no significant bumps.  Throw a few potholes or severe elevation changes in there and watch that unsprung weight bounce you right into the ditch...

Nate, I still need to get you behind thee wheel in the MR2.  It's a whole different world.  And, thanks to low unsprung weight, it doesn't become a pinball if it hits a little wiggle in the pavement.

It's that Cadillac ride, can't beat it. Sadly only 1% actually use the 4wd in their vehicle more than once or twice so to make them ride better they went to IFS.
Aaaaaand that's the end of the discussion.