Author Topic: Mormons.....  (Read 20945 times)

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
Re: Mormons.....
« on: Dec 06, 2008, 11:11:30 AM »

Here's what I know about the mormon religion. 

-They believe in the bible and the Christ came to this earth in and died for our sins.  (location is Israel where the bible says it is)

Very true we are Christians, a common misconception

-After his resurrection he went to heaven then came back to Latin America and preached.  I don't know details about this but I believe I'm right
about this point.

Not so much Latin America, but East cost is what is the primary location is thought to be. I can elaborate more if you would like

-Later Joseph Smith was lead by the Angel Moroni to find the book which he later translated to the Book of Mormon.  The book of mormon is viewed to be equal to the bible and view it as a holy book.

Correct also here, Moroni did direct him to where the plates were located. They were written in an Egyptian script, authenticated by a third party historian or translator at the time

-Mormons believe that our bodies are a holy temple and we should take care of them.  They teach that you should take care of your body and not degrade your body with substances such as alcohol, smoking, caffeine, etc. They also believe in purity and sex after marriage.

Words of Wisdom in the Doctrine and Covenants and Chastity... Correct Again

-A common misconception is that Mormons believe in poligamy.  This is untrue, but some off shoot sects do believe and practice this.

Hit it on the nose

-The LSD believe in large families and that someday each family will be given a new earth to rule just like Adam and Eve.  Because of this they believe heavily in genealogy research to find their family tree. (again a loose understanding)

There are different levels of righteousness that are talked about in the bible.. Celestial, Terrestrial and Telestial. Its not so much our own planet lol. And we do genealogy like you said to be sealed to our families so that when the judgement happens we will be with our families for eternity. I can elaborate more here if you like also

My personal viewpoint of the religion is that I have a hard time grasping some of the claims the church makes.  The biggest would have to be the Book of Mormon.  If there was geological proof that Jesus Christ did come to the Americas I could believe that more.  However the Bible does have proof that supports its existence and origin, unlike the Book of Mormon that is just claims of one man.

Like all religions a bit of faith gets the ball rolling

In terms of my view of the members.  Well I have had Mormon friends over the years and don't have any issues with them as a person or in what they believe.  Mostly this is because I am a Seventh Day Adventist and our morals are very similar.  As in terms of religious beliefs I haven't had serious discussions with a Mormon but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't.  Our beliefs do have some similarities with other christian faiths but obviously differ in many ways as well.

Indeed they are, to each their own

I don't specifically view Latter Day Saints as being a cult.  However just as in any other religion there are off shoots that can give them bad names and the Mormons have definitely had some.  It is unfortunate and I wish people would do a little more research into something before they go out and immediately point fingers and accuse.

WE do and kinda why i started this thread. Clear up some misconceptions of the Church. www.mormon.org is a great resource just to learn about what we believe
Colorado...its where the cool kids live