Author Topic: Drive shafts  (Read 4076 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: Drive shafts
« on: Oct 28, 2004, 10:38:11 PM »
Hi guys
Hopefully will be getting the new MC10 when shes ready for sale just wondering what rear driveshaft i will needto use .
I have the 2nd gen 4 runner 3" coil springs solid axle front 3" lift approx.
Will i have to change the front drive shaft? it has the standard ifs shaft on it but a bit longer and diffrent .
The rear drive shaft ive heard people saying go for a 1 piece shaft but not sure what this is my angle will be way to much so i need to change it somehow.
Would a double cardan type shaft as in the front help in the rear.\
If anyone has pics of their front and rear shafts on a coil rear 4runner with dual cases id appreciate a look .
Thanks in advance
Dave
Hey surfindave, that's awesome! You're gonna love dual cases! :love:
Your front drive shaft can be used, it just needs to be lengthened. Since this is a new adapter, I don't know exactly by how much, I would guess by looking at it it's about 7.5" longer.
Since you will be using the same gear drive transfercase that you have now (the VF1A), the same front output flange is used over again and therefore the same driveline can be used since its the same part. Just get it lengthened :thumbs:

As for people telling you to use a one piece rear driveline, you've already got a one piece rear drive line, so that is not a concern.

A double cardan type joint, oh Constant Velocity joint, can be used and is preferred for all short bed vehicles (like your 4Runner, same short bed frame length) with a lift of about 3" or higher. Some people get vibration between 50 - 60MPH and this is caused from a steep rear driveline angle. The CV joint driveline will solve this problem.

I know your truck must be a V6 because it has a chain drive transfercase and you want to run the MC10, so I know its not an auto because the MC10 will not work with any 89-95 autos, so the driveline that you need is from another 3.0L V6 4WD pickup from the front. So basically you need two front drive shafts that fit your rig. Then take both down to your driveline shop, and have the one of them lengthened to your front driveline measurements, and have the other one also lengthened to your rear driveline measurements, and then you're set with two driveshafts both with CV joints :disturbed:

I haven't heard anything about the MC10. Is the MC10 a single or dual transfercase?
It's our latest development for a 1989-1995 3.0L V6 4WD truck that uses a chain drive transfercase. It's a dualcase adapter that uses the older gear driven reduction housing (aka the Crawl Box) and then the MC10 allows the stock chain drive transfercase to be used behind the gear driven crawl box.

Here's a top secret spy photo:

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki