Author Topic: Chevy Dana 44 rebuild help  (Read 3137 times)

DeadlyPeace

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 593
  • Member since Nov '07
  • HEAVILY medicated for your protection!
    • View Profile
    • ToyotaOffRoad
Re: Chevy Dana 44 rebuild help
« on: May 21, 2008, 10:48:58 PM »
Got it all done and it definitely a lot less complexed then the Toyota hub. A lot less of a mess too.

on the inside edge of the hub roughly 1/4-1/2" into it there is a large ring that you will need to pop out, this is what the flatblade screwdriver is for (this is the most annoying and hardest part of the entire hub).
Didn't have a problem with the ring. What I did was used a really small flat blade screwdriver to pry one of the ends out of the slot then used another one to pull it towards the outside of the hub and the rest of the ring just seem to follow.

Did forget to you what the torque spec was for the hub nuts. I just have them snug a little past hand tight right now.

Thank again for the help.

This was the main reason for pulling the hubs. I noticed a little play in the axle u-joints and figured it was time to replace them.
BTW are they suppose to have bearings in them or just metal dust? To the left of the joint cap is a small pile of greased metal dust which is all I found in all the caps. There was no signs or even a chunk of a bearing to be seen. I'd say they were toast.

I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN

Never let people think you’re a horrible person and always keep the heart of a young child…
       ...I prefer mine in a jar on my desk.

3 CAT scans a MRI and some time with the shrink and it's comfirmed. I'm just not right in the head.

Global Moderator for www.ToyotaOffRoad.com