Author Topic: Do You Support Home Schooling ?  (Read 13891 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Support Home Schooling ?
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2008, 10:50:56 PM »
Reading all these responses, and looking back on the question, I think that is too hard of a question to answer.  There are too many generalizations on both sides to, when the real issue is that the answer is too dependent on too many different factors. 

Religion, parent education, location, accessibility to services and opportunities, etc.  I can see where both sides are coming from, and both have good points.  Hammerhead, you've given an example of homeschooling that I almost envy :gap: and I understand where you are coming from for sure, but with a slightly different perspective. 

My mom homeschooled me for kindergarten (yeah, I know kindergarten :eyeroll: )  but the reason she did so was because I was already reading at a 2nd grade level going into kindergarten.  The teacher wouldn't let me read 2nd grade level books!!  She told my mom that she didn't want me "to get too far ahead."  :stopit:  So my mom pulled me out, and taught me for a year, and I came back to public school in first grade, reading hardy boys books, and the boxcar children.  That is my personal homeschooling experience.

On the flip side, at public school, I've had some incredible teachers, and some mediocre ones. My 11th grade history teacher had us put Truman on trial for dropping the atomic bomb for our big WWII project. (it wasn't her own political agenda, but a fun way for us to learn the material)  different students dressed up as witnesses, lawyers, Truman, and the jury, and were graded on their knowledge of the material.  (the outcome was not part of the grade)

Granted, those are just two examples, but looking at my own experiences, I can see both sides.  I still think in most cases, homeschooling is not the best option (or at least needs to be better regulated) but for some people it is.  I think it all depends on the motivation.  If it is done to suit the kid's needs, then absolutely, and if steps are taken that they get a well rounded education (social, competitive, etc. ) then great!  If it is simply to "protect" the kids from the "cruel, heathen" world, then no. 

And just throwing this out there, but where I lived, going to middle school (Dover, Delaware) , jr. high (Altus, Oklahoma) , and high school (Vacaville, California) , at the time at least, you weren't allowed to play for the school if you didn't attend, so that is where my basis on that comes from. :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent