Author Topic: Do You Support Home Schooling ?  (Read 13920 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Support Home Schooling ?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2008, 07:39:31 PM »
I would have to disagree with the first highlight. Most parents ARE educated and intelligent enough to educate their children. At some point the Parent will reach the limit of their education, forcing to choose between letting someone else continue, or, (and this would do nothing but better the child, parent AND society) learn the subject matter they are having to instruct the child in.

Now, the MAIN problem with most parents and homeschooling, is the second highlight. Most parents do not have the dedication required to raise their kids, let alone educate them. We, as parents, get so wrapped up in the rat race of life, that the kids end up raising themselves, then we wonder why they do stupid, disrespectful, and hurtful things to themselves and to others. I am also guilty of this, have seen it in myself, and am trying to make a change for the better.

I'm kinda in the middle on this.  It seems that the people that homeschool their kids either come from one of two camps:  those who are extremely intelligent, and dedicated, and those that are trying to help their kid take the easy way out, so they do the bare minimum, if that to meet the standards.  My cousin went through her senior year of HS this way (got pregnant and dropped out)  and lets just say my aunt was not quite qualified to do the job.  I could go on with other examples, but thats just my personal experience with it
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent