Author Topic: Do You Support Home Schooling ?  (Read 13904 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Support Home Schooling ?
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2008, 11:45:18 AM »
Well... being a kid in high school, I get to meet some home school kids when they come to the high school for specialized classes like foreign language classes. Out of all the home school kids I have met, there was only one that had no social skills, but he was also "special."

I do not see where people are coming up with the idea that home school kids have no social skills, because I hang out with a few home school kids, and I have even gone wheeling with one of them a couple times. They are just like public school/private school kids, there is nothing weird about them, and they do have social skills.

One reason why there is a lot of home schooling here in Wyoming is because the state has a population of only 500,000 people. Since there is such a small population and such a large state, everyone is spread out across the state. Once you get out of the major cities/towns, its all ranch after ranch after ranch. And guess what? Those ranch people have kids too. And guess what else? They need education as well. There is a public school available to them in each county, but that school is rarely close enough for the kids to go to since Wyoming counties are huge. So that leads to a lot of home schooling, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I see nothing wrong with home schooling: they still get an equal education (in Wyoming if you home school you still have to meet the state standards); they are guaranteed an education that is on par with their parents standards (because the parents are the ones teaching); they still socialize and have social skills; and they get to make schooling so much more fun than public school.