Author Topic: Hello from Oceanside, CA  (Read 4037 times)

pray4surf

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Oceanside, CA
« on: Apr 30, 2008, 01:57:59 PM »
thanks Jose :D

But, Hey, once you've seen one IFS Taco, you've seen them all.. 

No real surprises on the conversion, at least nothing that could have been avoided had I did more research/been a little more patient before dropping the coin on various components. Such as an incompatible transmission..

Basically, remove PreRunner tranny, install 4WD tranny and tcase, install rear driveshaft. Install front diff, remove PreRunner spindles, install 4WD spindles, install CV's, install front driveshaft, fill with fluids, rock and roll...

What I've learned: Throttle-by-wire transmission is incompatible with the earlier trucks (first mistake). Factory 4x4 tacos with 2.7L and auto trannys use a forward shift tcase rather than a top shift. (the extra length of the engine block 'pushes' the trans and tcase about 2-1/2" further aft.) Of course, this means that each drive shaft had to be modified, and so does the tcase shifter lever. The ideal donor vehicle would've been a 2.7L Auto Tranny 4WD, but those are a rare bird. 4Runners use ABS sensors instead of the #1VSS to operate the speedometer and simply putting a VSS into the opening in the tcase will not work if there is a mis-match on the gears..... Don't part with any 'extra' parts until you've completed the swap. Example - Had I held onto the 04 tranny and tcase, I'd probably be able to swap tcases and no longer have the P0500 and VSS problem - or at least swap out the worm gear on the output shafts.