Author Topic: A REALLY Inconvenient Truth  (Read 9106 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: A REALLY Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #30 on: Apr 23, 2008, 07:58:21 PM »
The idea of communism itself was manifested in that book by Carl Marx and Friedrich Engels, it did not really exist before then. In the times it was written were full of revolution and distrust of the government in Europe, I guess what i am trying to say is that pointing out that someone is a communist about the things you read on the net is naive and rather dumb. 

I am not saying that is the responsibility of the government to bail any business out of economic trouble nor do i really think that they should have to. In this case though after Carter regularized the airline industry it became so competitive that it was hard for any airline to make money. After 9/11 there was an offer from the Bush administration to aide to them in he form of loans, out of all that applied very few were helped. United didn't get any, filed chapter 11, dissolved pensions, and cut thousands of jobs. I am not saying that if Bush came through that woulds have not happened, I just think that many would still have  a retirement or a job.

Oh and i am a 19 year old bleeding heart liberal, but i think you knew that lol

I gathered :gap:

I'd be careful accusing throwing around accusations of people not knowing what they are talking about, and just quoting what they see on the internet.  :gap:  A lot of people on here were around before the internet was invented (by Al Gore, according to the internet :gap: )  heck, even before computers.  Many of them went through the cold war, and had a much closer look at communism than you have reading in your text books.  

Of course, the reasoning behind cutting the pensions, and laying off people was to try to save the company.  Even if they did receive the loans, and as you said, if it hadn't of worked, the same thing would have happened.  What you are talking about are last ditch efforts that companies going under do.  The company I was working for prior to the fire dept.  was directly involved with the housing boom.  When the bubble popped, they had to go through layoffs and such as well.  The company is still in existence, but when it can't afford to pay its people, then it has to do something.    If it continues to pay them, without bringing the profit it, it is bleeding out, and will die.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent