Poll

What is your favorite brand of axle gear manufacturer?

Motive gear
Richmond
Yukon
Precision
Sierra
Stock Toyota

Author Topic: Who makes the strongest ring gear?  (Read 10686 times)

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Re: Who makes the strongest ring gear?
« on: Apr 08, 2008, 05:21:59 PM »
i just got a stock rear axle with 4.56 and well have to regear the front. don't know if i want to pay for yota gears yet. I'll have to check on the price first.  how did the Richmond's look quality wise? i just need a r&p that can handle 31 to 33 inch tires anyway.

Any R&P will handle 33" tires without a problem inless you have an IFS front.

im thinking that stock should be the strongest, but not sure on that. my theory on this is that toyota has a more rigorous quality check system than any of the after market suppliers. ive heard that most of the gears that the aftermarket suppliers sell wont pass the OEM specifications. and ive also heard that there are only a few manufacturers for gears and many more suppliers that will stamp a name on them.

sort of like a grade A will be sent to Toyota and a grade B will be sent to Yukon and each will stamp their respective names on them.

but this is all hearsay, but if you think about it, it kinda makes sense.

I think it does make a lot of sense. However, I also would think a lot of improvements in material quality and other factors have taken place in the last 20 or so years since the Toyota gears were manufactured. I would think the advancements in gear technology would make current aftermarket gears stronger that the factory toyota gears that came in our trucks.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough