Author Topic: toby's truck still idles like crap  (Read 1836 times)

Twisted Minis

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 1,022
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Re: toby's truck still idles like crap
« on: Feb 12, 2008, 09:22:06 PM »
Dude, I just got done fixing this problem! Toyota carbs are kind of hit or miss. I got a batch of bad gas and had to drain the tank and replace the fuel pump (stopped putting out pressure after the bad gas and wouldn't fill the bowl) and after that it idled like :pokinit: and blew a little black smoke. Ran like it had a miss. So I rebuilt the carb again, same deal. Traced vacuum lines for days, rebuilt the cabr again. Ran it off a gas can thinking I had something wrong with the lines. It smoothed out at higher RPMs, and while the choke was on, but would either die flat or run rough around 1K RPM.

Anyways, to the point, the fix was the most simple thing ever. A friend of mine that has these troubles with Edelbrock carbs on his Mustangs ran the idea past me, and it worked! Basically what you do, is let the motor cool down enough for the choke to operate (mine is a coolant choke with a vacuum pull, 20R and early 22R thing). Anyways, the idle needs to be up so you can get out and go to the engine bay. Pull the air cleaner off so you can operate the throttle by hand. Now, rev that sumbitch up to 4 grand or so, and cover half of the carb (the choke side) with your hand and hold it there until it sounds like it will die. Do it 2-3 times, then wait for it to come down to idle and see what happens. It should idle alright. What this does is create a huge amount of vacuum inside the carb, and it will suck out anything that is clogged presently. After doing this my truck has idled fine since. Give that shot, can't hurt anything and its free.
2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins