Author Topic: BigMike's Big Project  (Read 734630 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: BigMike's Big Project
« Reply #480 on: Sep 23, 2004, 11:52:02 PM »
i have to still make the 3rz fit and get it running. istill have to swap fuel tanks, route the new harness and splice it in with the original as little as i need to. along with the body lift, new motor mounts and probably tranny mounts, make brackets for my new seats, and whatever else comes up along the way.
I'm on day 81 now. dang has it been that long? sheesh It's been alot of work!! :banana:

Thanks for the pics man, looking good :booya: Dispite the fact that one of your engine mounts does bolt up, to retain the same level placement the engine had in the T100, you're gonna have to chop both factory hilux mounts off and relocate them or make some new ones.. 'cause in your pics, the engine is tilted to one side .... We used a digital leveling meter on top of the intake manifold, the flat area just beyond the throttle body, to find the level point of the truck. Also eye-balling the power steering resivor helped too, checking to see that it's straigt up and not slanted..

You might be suprised as to how much head room is under the hood once its closed. You could have the power steering res. 2 or 3 inches above the height of the radiator and it would still fit with the hood closed. So dont be afraid to mount it as high as possible. Also make sure you get the engine moved back as far as possible so you can have many cooling fan options.

But one note I have with placing the engine up as high as possible is that you know my engine is maybe sitting a bit to low, BUT the space above the bellhousing was very tight!! (before I added the 1" body lift) So thinking back, I think we placed it as high as possible while still having clearance for the trans and t/case. And remember one of the main reasons I went with a small body lift was that my t/case was in direct contact with the tunnel of the cab, so I dont think I could have mounted my engine any higher than I did... But hopefully the 2nd gen cabs have more room to play with-
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki