Author Topic: yotalet buildup....wheel it some.... build it some  (Read 10873 times)

bayouhazard

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Been piddling with a few loose ends I'm ironing out.  The steering is giving me fits.  I installed a remote reservoir because the tank on the gm pump didn't have enough capcity.  I drove it for an hour orso, crawling on some of the rock courses and testing out the new capabilities.  My steering finally went to almost nothing.  checked and found the fluid was foamed up.  Today I pulled the reservoir and took the top off.  I made a baffle kinda like a funnel without the spout and tack welded it about halfway down inside.  Then I relocated the return line up at the top instead of the bottom, pointing it to swirl the fluid around the baffle, which should reduce the airation.  I've seen some dry sump tanks set up in a similar fashion.  Went and tested and even after an hour of hard use there was no more foaming  of the fluid.  I am running hydraulic fluid like I put in my backhoe.  The steering was still hard to turn.  Guess I wiped out the pump when the fluid got airated.  Bummer because I can't take the pump back for warranty now that I welded a cap and nipple to it for the remote reservoir.  Hopefully a new pump will cure the problem. 
   I also installed a larger m/c, as the brake pedal was really low.  I took out a 13/16ths bore and installed a 1 inch bore from a 90something toyota.  Walla!!!!!!!!  Instant fix, and a lot easier than trying to adapt a g.m. cylinder.   Slowly I'm working the last few bugs out.
   Still have plans to make a wrap up bar and an exo cage.   Stay tuned.........
80 pickup swb, 4.3, 700r4, marlin 10 degree doubler, frt+rr 60's w/ 7.17's, full hydro, flat belly'd, 42 irocs, 17" mickey's w/ trailready's.