Author Topic: 2WD Clutch Slips in 4th Gear Only. Acceptable?  (Read 5135 times)

JD

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
What is an "FSM"? I have decided to do the job myself when the times comes and see if I can get my brother to help me with dropping the transmission.

I am reluctant to do the "4th gear engine killing test" if there's any chance it will make the clutch even a tiny bit worse and rob me of a few days/miles of use. I already know the clutch slips in 4th if I accelerate too hard up a hill or against a strong cross wind.

There is a pedal adjustment which I unfortunately don't really understand too well. I thought I'd mess around with that and see if I can figure out how to at least get that properly adjusted. I also have an oil leak from somewhere I thought might be working its way into the clutch somehow,

Any suggestions for squeezing a few more miles/days of use out of this clutch? My financial situation is really bad at the moment with no money coming in for several months.

85xcab, sorry about the mechanic remark, you guys do a tough job and earn every penny. My profession (law) has a similarly bad reputation, and people from the outside never understand how tough things really are.

Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions.