Author Topic: 85 4Runner low lift high flex set up question  (Read 13936 times)

eric hohlfelder

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 85 4Runner low lift high flex set up question
« on: Dec 04, 2007, 08:36:13 PM »
Albo4Runin thanks for the correction.  This stuff is like trying to measure a worm.  RCK SQRL, I like the option of pulling leaf's to lower it.  Don't know what that does long term to the springs?  All in all, if my rig did less DD and more crawlin I think I would try the RUF setup with the old springs kick'n around, but since I do use it daily, and do travel 6 hrs on the highway to trails in PA with my wife and daughter, wheel it good for 2 days, then drive it home, I think newer gear is more in order.  That said, with the custom Alcans at only 2.5" and a 1" boomerang sky shackle lift, I think that should work well at 3.5" of actual lift.  I know the Alcans will flex, ride height will be level, and they should ride smooth.  This is almost exacty the same as what you guys do'in the RUF setup are doing.  From the sounds of it many of you are on the same page of big flex and a little less lift.  If I find myself going to 35's (say when the new BFG come out in 15's next fall) I can add the front spring fixed hanger to move the axle an additional .75" forward, gain a 1/2" lift up front and add a slightly longer shackle to the rear.  There, its done....until the roll cage (internal or exo?).  I know this sounds costly and is not (was not in mine a few years ago either) in many wheelers budget, but this is a long term rig and my daily ride so I can spend a few grand on her.  :clap2:  

P.S. MiniSimp, are those the Bud Built rear 10" ramped spring hangers on you rig?  They look good.  Thats what I was leaning toward as well to help slide over the rocks.  I think Marlin should add those to his kit since he is now selling the Bud transfercase skid.  HINT..HINT... :turtle3: :wave:

I'd still like some numbers from the rigs out there showing how tall they are from center of axle to fender lip.  This will help many building their rigs.   :beerchug: