Author Topic: Vendor Alert: Beadlock Specialties in Fresno, CA  (Read 1714 times)

Fjamming

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Re: Vendor Alert: Beadlock Specialties in Fresno, CA
« on: Nov 27, 2007, 11:43:30 PM »

Long Version

I needed a second set of wheels. I chose beadlocks and aggressive Super Swamper LTBs.  The plan is to have it setup so when I’m on the trail I won’t be wondering “what if” or “what might”.  I want overkill in another word.  So the search for a good set of beadlocks begins.  Walker Evens makes some killer beadlocks, but they don’t have it in 16inch size so they are out.  Stazworks came highly recommended by Mir207, but they also don’t have 16 inch size.  Champion Beadlock, OMF, Allied, and MRT are all respected names and I almost settled on OMF until I came across Beadlock Specialties.  They advertised a heavy duty ring of 5/8th inch thickness and flush mounted bolts.  The price was right so I thought I’d give it a go and chance it on a small company.  That was back on September 10th 2007…

The goal was to have the wheels back in time for our local meet and greet.  What followed as just a bunch of lies.  Here a chronology of events.
  • 9/10/07 (Monday):   Called and talked to Tammy:
  •    Tammy said Chamber Teflon with rock locks (heavy duty 0.625 inch rings: 16X8RL02) for $338 per wheel plus the 10% Pirate forum board member discount.  It sounded like a good deal and I said ok.
  • 9/11/07 (Tuesday):     Clint Curry called me and told me he can’t sell me the American Racing Chamber Teflons at that price even though that someone in his office took my order and credit card.  He offered to get me the regular 3/8th inch rings (16X8BS02) plus $60 more per wheel, which brings the price to $299+60=$349.  He’ll honor the Pirate discount.  I asked that if he can install the Powertank Monster Valves (that I’ll have Powertank ship to them) for me then I’ll take it.  He said ok and we went ahead with the order. 
  • 9/14/07 (Friday):     Tammy emailed me and said the Chambers are backordered until November.  I can’t wait till November so I said I’ll call back with another style.
  • 9/14/07 (Friday):     I called and Tammy Barrett answered.  I asked about Eagle Alloy Series 185 wheels with 4 inch backspace and -11mm offset and whether they will fit.  She said that they should (Not true, but I'll let that go since I should have done the homework on my own.).  I went ahead and place an order for Eagle Alloy Series 185 wheels with rock lock (16X8RL02) and Monster Valve installation. $338/wheel plus Pirate discount.  Since I have a meet that I’ll be at on Saturday I asked that if they could make it happen and was told that they should be able to.  They can be done by Wednesday and have it shipped on Thursday and I should have it on Friday.  I provided installation of Powertank Monster Valves. 
  • 9/17/07 (Monday):     Called around noon and spoke to Tammy.  She said the wheels are in and they’ll get started on it.
  • 9/18/07 (Tuesday):     UPS tracking shows that Powertank Monster Valves have arrived at the shop.  Powertank has provided installation instruction with their kit.
  • 9/19/07 (Wednesday):     Called the shop and was told that they are working on it.
  • 9/20/07 (Thursday):     Called, hoping to get a tracking number.  I left a message.  I got a call from Clint Curry at around 5:30pm.  Clint Curry wants to know where to install the Powertank Monster Valves.  I said opposite the stock stem.  He said he hopes he can finish the wheels before UPS comes. 
  • 9/21/07 (Friday):     Wheels didn’t come.
  • 9/22/07 (Saturday):   No wheels and I got into a serious accident (police report and hospital reports).  Broken multiple facial bones and was under heavy medication.
  • 9/24/07 (Monday):     UPS came, but I was in hospital.  I missed the delivery.
  • 9/25/07 (Tuesday):     UPS came, but I was unable to leave the bed to inspect the shipment.
  • 9/27/07 (Thursday):     Inspected the shipment and found that Powertank Monster Valves were not installed.  Rings were the regular rings (16X8BS02) and not the heavy duty Rock Lock rings (16X8RL02) that I ordered.  Receipts/invoice was not sent with the wheels.  Some items from my Powertank Monster Valves were also not sent; items like invoice, instruction, and some stickers.  Powertank Monster Valve kit’s case was broken but wrapped in clear tape to keep it together.  Rings have ink stains.  I called and Clint Curry answered the phone.  Clint Curry said he didn’t know how to install the Powertank Monster Valves.  He apologized for the mistake in the rings and if I pay the difference for the heavier rings, he’ll make the heavier rings for me.  He gave me the UPS account number in which I can then ship back the wrong rings that were sent.  He would honor a 10% Pirate forum board discount for the Rock Lock rings.  He said he’s pretty busy now and it might take a while.  I said fine and asked when he expects to have them.  He said end of next week, which puts the expected date at 10/5/07.  I said ok.
  • 10/11/07 (Thursday):     I called about the rings since it’s been almost 2 weeks.  I had to leave a message.  I did not get a call back.
  • 10/12/07 (Friday):     I called and spoke to Clint Curry.  Clint Curry said he’s waiting on materials.  I asked for a firm date.  He said he has to contact his aluminum supplier and call me back.  I asked that he give me an answer today.  He called at 4:45pm and told me that he’ll get the materials Monday and he’ll get right on it. 
  • 10/15/07 (Monday):     I received an email from Tammy with the invoice and asked that I ship back the wrong rings and give her the tracking number.  Beadlock Specialties sent me UPS tracking info for the rings.  I shipped out and gave Tammy the tracking number via email at 5:08pm.
  • 10/16/07 (Tuesday):     Rings arrived.  The rings measured ½ inch wide, not the 5/8th inch as promised.  Rings were again ink stained.  I emailed Beadlock Specialties about the difference at 6:19pm.  Tammy emailed me back at 9:26pm and stated that if I’m not happy with the product to ship them back and they will give me a full refund but will charge a 25% restocking fee.  I emailed back to her at 11:53pm and stated that I never got the product that I ordered in the first place and do not think I should be penalized with a restocking fee.  I asked that they call me back.
  • 10/17/07 (Wednesday):  No one called from Beadlock Specialties.  I called at 11:52am and Tammy answered.  I told her that I feel that since I didn’t get the product I ordered (5/8th inch and got ½ inch), I shouldn’t be penalized with a restocking fee.  She said with CNC aluminum, 1/8th of an inch is an acceptable variance.  She lost her temper and didn’t want to communicate any more and told me to do what I have to do.  She encouraged me to return the items and pay the restocking fee.  The restocking fee would be close to $360.

Tammy emailed me at 2:03pm and listed a summary of events that was clearly not true.  She stated that I negotiated a substantial discount for the wheels.  It was a wheel (Eagle Alloy series 185) with no special discount; at least they didn’t make me aware of a discount.  She stated that I didn’t communicate with them for 3 weeks.  I was either emailing or calling.  I have records of emails and cell phone logs.

Stay away guys.  I'm just a small fish in a big pond, but I'll make my own ripples.

Sandoo Blue FJ
AllPro adjustable front and rear reservoir shocks.  Pro Links LCA.  AllPro winch bumper with small hoop.  AllPro rear bumper.  Demello skids.  Mile Marker SE9500C.  Viking Trail Line with winch safety thimble (5/16"X125ft), Trail Gear Sliders, Hi-Lift, Jack Mate, Pull-Pal.