Author Topic: Project LOL @ IFS  (Read 7593 times)

LOL @ IFS

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 292
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Not so common common sense.
    • View Profile
Re: Project LOL @ IFS
« on: Oct 11, 2007, 12:47:23 PM »
Thanks guys.  I've had a few people ask me for tips and how I did it, so I figured I'd post it here. 

I'd like to preface this by saying I've never had an autobody class, nor painted a car/ truck before.  This is only what I did, and if there's some of you that can add to this, feel free, because I really don't have any more info than what follows.  :) 

I removed the tail lights, corner lights (the four small ones on the side), mirrors, 4WD emblems, and wiper arms. 

Then I wet sanded the whole thing with 500 and sanding blocks, and used green scotchbrite where the blocks couldn't get.  I then washed the whole truck and used a damp cloth to remove any left over dust. 

The grille was already off, so I just draped some newspaper over the lights and taped it up, and then masked off the door handles, door locks, wiper studs, and used newspaper to cover the windows and sunroof.  To do that, you want to go around the border with some tape and a razor, and then tape the newspaper down.  Any seams where the newspaper overlaps (like on the windshield) will need to be taped.  I sprayed the black first, left all the masking on, and then taped up the line for the green.  Run a single strip where you want the line (put the tape on the "black side" of where you want the line to be), and then tape newspaper down to protect from overspray.  I didn't do this, and I kind of wish I did, but oh well.

As far as painting itself...  You want to use even, steady strokes.  Don't speed up or slow down while spraying, and don't hold down on the nozzle when you stop and change direction.  Let off, start going back, and start spraying again.  If you hold down while you stop and change direction, you'll get a run.  If you do get a run, you can do one of two things... you can either wipe it up right there and spray over it, or you can let it dry and sand it down and hit it again later.  I personally don't care about runs on a trail rig, so I didn't do either.  I didn't know this 'till afterwards, but they make trigger things that go on spray paint cans so you're not pressing down on the nozzle.  I wish I knew this beforehand, because my index fingers hurt for a few hours after the job.