Author Topic: for the the street bike guys/gals  (Read 4724 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: for the the street bike guys/gals
« on: Sep 07, 2007, 09:10:57 PM »
No particular incident...just riding my old Kawasaki 750 triple. Anything that wasn't dead straight was like that head-spinning-prepuke feeling. Back then...they really didn't have a handle on frame geometry and material. That bike handled like crap, but I love the smell of a 2 stroke.

Never had the pleasure, or should I say displeasure, but they're neat bikes for sure. 

Scariest?  That's a tough one.  I was just discussing with my boss how it's a really good thing I have either a delayed or non-existent *oh :pokinit:* response.  It either never hits me or lags behind.  Makes it nice when something happens that makes other's butts pucker and I can keep going like normal.  Lotsa fun on the track :yesnod:

Anyway, the one that shoulda scared me the worst was my crash.  Never wrecked before then and I relished killing 2 front tires to 1 rear when most guys killed 2 rears to 1 front.  I rode too fast on the street, period, and I paid big.  Went for a solo ride, lowsided in a left hander, slid across the road until my head kissed a metal reflector post and it was lights out for nate!  I criss-crossed with the bike, went through a fence and trees, ending up in a field.  Bike flipped end over end for about 40 yards.  First recollection of the day was mid-late afternoon, telling my friend something and he said "yea I know, you've already told me that 10 times!".  Spooky.  I should have died probably but got out with a spiral fracture to my leg and broke my thumb right at the joint-broke the joint.

One night my friend and I were riding over to his place one evening to change our face shields.  Stopped at a light, he went first when it turned, I went them BAM!  Front end slid way out, caught, then the back end bounced over to the side and the whole bike just skipped back and forth till it straightened out.  By the time all this went down my friend was a ways ahead.  Pulled up next to him at the stop sign, he pops his shield and says "what the hell was that?", I said "I don't know, the front end just slid out all of a sudden and all hell broke loose".  We went back through the same innersection on the way back and saw what I'd hit - a flattened aluminium can :shake:

Leaving the college on a cold, windy night.  I almost always took the left turn lane, cocked the bike and did a power-slide through the corner.  It's my sickness.  If you have a bike you have one.  Anyway, there was a car in the left lane so I took the right-left turn lane, cocked the bike, started sliding and thought "why the hell am I looking at the car next to me?", then realized I'd slide out sideways.  Tires hooked back up, pitched the bike straight and me up over the bars.  Came back down on the bike, rolled it into the right hander for the on ramp, cocked it and slid the back end through the corner :gap:

Going to work yesterday morning I rolled into the left hander for the on ramp going to work just a little faster than usual.  No biggie, all felt good, then halfway through the corner I started rolling on the gas as usual and noticed something..... the bike was sliding.  Not just the rear though, it was a super smooth 2 wheeled slide and my first thought was "neat, a 2 wheeled slide!".  There was no second thought :haha:

I love riding pretty much every day, even with all my shitty shifting!

RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!