Author Topic: BigMike's Big Summer Project: REVIVED!  (Read 219939 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: BigMike's Big Summer Project: REVIVED!
« Reply #480 on: Sep 05, 2007, 03:17:31 PM »
Yes, huge differences in the computers and electronics.

According to Alpine, when a 1995-1997 Tacoma 3RZ-FE o2 sensor sees a rich condition, the ECU will retard the timing. But on a 1995-1997 T100 3RZ-FE, when its o2 sensor sees a rich condition, the ECU does not retard the timing.

This is just a basic example they told me which no doubt verifies the vastly different engine fuel and timing curves between the early Tacoma and T100 ECU.

The problem I have is that Alpine has NEVER installed this super charger onto a T100 system, and therefore they have no baseline program to upload to my engine management computer. All they can offer me was a program designed for a 1995 Tacoma 3RZ-FE.

So when I use the piggy back ecu and 5th injector controller designed for a Tacoma but installed onto a T100,

- What is supposed to happen: When the ECU sees a rich condition, it retards the timing. So the Alpine computer system is programed to use heavy timing advance to compensate for this.

- Here is what happens in my situation: When my T100 ECU sees a rich condition, it doesn't do anything to the timing. But since the Alpine computer system is programed to advance the timing, what happens is I get extreme advancement on the timing and it detonates so bad that I can not drive the truck over 80 mph in 5th gear. 1 PSI of boost feels EXACTLY like 8 PSI of boost.

I've already purchased and tried running used 1995 Tacoma and 4Runner 3RZ computers (bought 4 different computers) and a 1996 4Runner computer runs the best, but it still detonates badly...

What are my options?
1) I have a very close personal friend who was a lead tuner for Saleen in Las Vegas, and know has his own business with a Dynojet right down the street from Marlin Crawler. He tried to get the needed hardware and software to dyno tune my truck, but alas, it will cost nearly $3,000 for him to become a dealer for Unichip, which is NOT a common system used here in California. So he would basically be spending $3k out of his pocket just to be able to tune my truck. So that option was shut down.

2) My friend recommended that I run a Greddy E-Manager system that he can install and already has the soft & hardware to tune the truck as he is a high level Greddy dealer. He said he can get me a killer deal on it for around $300-400? (I forgot what he told me) but I just spent $450 getting the 5th injector kit and an additional Unichip ecm from Alpine, plus I have paid over $100 in getting my computers reprogrammed three times....

3) I can tow my truck to LC Engineering & Alpine in Arizona, and have them dyno tune it for me, but do to the business merger and the moves, their dyno will not be set up for at least 2 more months.

So basically all of the options I had gave me no solution before the Round-Up. This is not just something I tried to do in the last week. I have been working with my dynojet friend since early June!

Basically, I am just sick and tired of having to run 91 oct + the best octane boost I can find, which still isn't enough.

The power around town is AWESOME. Anything below 50mph or so is great. But once you get the super charger pretty hot, the increased air temp increases the octane requirement so much that the fuel I am using can no longer keep up. So on the freeway, 1 PSI feels just like 8 PSI.

What really got me pissed is that I raced Bevin (blane525) up hill. He has a 2003 3RZ in his 1985 with 5.29s and 37s, a similar truck setup to mine, and at 8 PSI I was just *BARELY* faster than him. It takes about 10-15 seconds for me to get 1 truck length on him. WHAT A JOKE.

I have no doubt that once it is tuned properly on a dyno that it will have over 200 HP and over 250 TQ, but until then, it is a serious pain in the ass and is wasting my time, money, and engine.

wanna sell it?

This depends if any of my above options become available soon. If not, then yes, I will sell it. I bought it for $1600 and have put over $500 into it. I would lik eto get $2000 for the system just to try to recover the losses I have in it. According to Alpine, it is setup to run PERFECT in a 1995 Tacoma 3RZ-FE. It can be reprogrammed for any Tacoma or 4Runner for around $50 + shipping to Alpine, but it is currently setup for a 1995 Tacoma. I've got the 5th injector kit already installed with dual computers, all of the required hardware including the additional fuel line, instructions, brand new supercharger oil, and intake manifolds to fit the blower to either a 2RZ-FE or a 3RZ-FE.

If I do sell it, I hope I will be pretty firm on $2,000, I really need to recover from the lost downtime and money.

BigMike
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2007, 03:24:08 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki