Author Topic: Really need your help (stumble when throttle is applied)  (Read 28838 times)

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
 :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: for everyone who got Mini pointed in the right direction. (I know that doesn't include me. :rivers: )

Friday, I finally got the time to mess with the 86 Celica I just bought for my wife. (250.00 in pretty good condition - straight body, good interior, engine runs...fair)

I cranked the engine with a jump (told bad battery), and the engine had a miss. ok, needs plugs. but it ran for a little while then I tried to move it, and it sounded just like Mini's truck! couldn't get the rpms past 3000. Immediately knew what the problem was. Ordered the pump and screen (had both parts locally - were delivered to the store Sat. morning). Drained the fuel tank and this is what I got out.

There was also sediment in the bucket (rust) and also, more still in the tank. So, I dropped the tank, removed the pump assembly, got as much of the rust out as I could, and reinstalled the new one with the new screen and put it all back together. After hotwiring the pump to get the fuel to the rail, it cranked right up and runs like it should (still need to put in the plugs). After a break, I got to looking at the old screen, and decided to desect it. this is what came out.

That is rust powder and rust balls between the two pieces. Because of this, I am still going to have to find the fuel filter and change it out.

I must give a very BIG THANK YOU to everyone who helped Mini with his problem, because I would still be pulling my hair out trying to figure it out by myself. And another big thanks to mini for starting this thread.

Now a question: Is there a way to test a f/p on the bench? The ?clogged? screen is why I'm asking.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491