Author Topic: Meteors this weekend  (Read 2652 times)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: Meteors this weekend
« on: Aug 11, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
Ok, that was very called-for.

However, let me clarify my question:

#1:  As we all know, there is a peak for these showers.  If you're only going to torture your pregnant wife for one or two hours - you don't want to take her out at 10pm if the peak is at 2AM.  Make sense?

#2:  There are several mountain spots to choose from here for me.  I can go up the hill by my house and there I only have a view of the EASTERN skies.  Or I can drive further to another hill where I can have a clear view of the WESTERN skies.

It would really suck to drive up hill B and look to the WEST at 10pm when they fire in the East at 2AM.   Make sense?

I'm in So Oregon for what that's worth.

I said I wasn't being a smart ass.

I really haven't seen anything that indicates a prime direction. In my experience with the Perseid's...they appear from all directions. As far as the peak time, again, my experience is between midnight and about 4am.

I don't know anything about Oregon...mountains, plains, etc...but I usually go out in the middle of a wide valley (the San Pedro) that runs north and south, east of Tucson. I would think that if you're in the middle of the mountains, your horizon is going to be limited. So, if you're in the middle of Kansas where there aren't any hills, you've got it made. If you in Tahoe up in the mountains, try to get to an observatory or a clearing near a peak. How wide are the valleys in your area?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)