Author Topic: BigMike's Big Project  (Read 734910 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: BigMike's Big Project
« Reply #240 on: Jul 15, 2004, 11:19:19 PM »
Thursday,

Work, work, and more work = Fun, fun, and more fun. Put in a second night in a row on nothing but wiring, and I now have the interior T100 wires all sorted out. I've gotten to the point where I can't get any more progress until I get the FSM for the T100..

Mike,
I have a FSM (5" thick) for the `96 Taco...if you want I will get you pics out of it.

We actually have a 2000 Tacoma book but that newer 3RZ uses 4 coils (direct fire). My buddie came by the shop last weekend and I checked out his 98 Tacoma 3RZ and it had two coils (DIS twin, just like my 91-93 4A-GZE engine in my MR2). So those are all very different from mine. I dont know about your 96 book, but I dont need any info for the engine harness. It is very simple and I've already got the battery/alternator fuse box 100% figured out without any diagrams. Instead, what I really need, is the interior diagrams for the T100, which is different from the Tacoma interior.

And this is excatly where I am at with this conversion, the interior wiring harness. When I did my wiring on my MR2, the conversion came from a FWD Corolla. The corolla mounted the ecu in the cabin, so its ecu harness had everything from dome light wires to blower fan motor to electric mirror wires. I didnt have the diagrams for the cabin, so I just cut back the wires and left them in the loom. Well that is not going to happen with my truck. Once I get the FSM, I plan to remove EVERY single wire from the interior T100 harness and remove ALL wires that are not related to the engine. I know this will take a couple more days or so, but I want to cut out all the :bull crap: T100 wires that I dont need and keep every thing as simple as possible.

So that's where I am at. Oh, I traced out the sensor lamp...

hey, what's the "sensor" light on your gauge cluster do?  that's almost the exact same cluster as my '79(besides the idiot lights having different having words instead of pictures) but it sure doesn't have a "sensor" light

...which serves the '81 as both an exhaust over-temp warning light and a service interval light. I will be using this lamp for the (temporary) Check Engine light. :thumbs: And I already found the purple wire from the ECU for the Check Engine light, so the check engine light issue is already water under the bridge.

Welp, Im looking forward to this weekend as I hope to finish all of the wiring completely and then focus on the few remaining mechanical things after which it should be about ready to fire up :best:

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki