Author Topic: ** '03 PreRunner --> 4x4 SAS! **  (Read 56587 times)

Revivalist

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
Re: ** '03 PreRunner --> 4x4 SAS! **
« Reply #90 on: Jul 13, 2007, 04:10:25 PM »
Well, someone offered me a good price on my tires and wheels so I sold them and picked up a set of 40” Iroks. With the move up in tire size I decided to change to a 17” rim and have them beadlocked. . . .

There’s a local place here in Fresno called Beadlock Specialties that does great work. The owner Clint was very helpful. I went down there and watched them being made. Mounting them was easier than I thought. I couldn’t find a place that would balance them so I bought some of that powder stuff that big rigs use and put that in the tire. I guess it’s supposed to help balance the tire by staying at the part of the tire that weighs the least. . . .

Anyhow, here’s how the truck looks in my driveway now. . .

I like the protection that the thick rock rings give. They basicaly leave just enough room to get a socket in there for the lugs . . .

I pulled out the old ramp to see what clearance issues I might have . . .

In the rear, it looks like I just need to clearance the fender flare a little bit and trim the wrap-around on the rear bumper. It will probably need to be cut shorter and plated again . . .

Next, I flexed the rear . . .

On full compression in the front, it looks like all I have to do is trim the ARB bumper a little more. There’s also a little bracket comming down that needs to be cut off. (I think it’s the mount for the stock bumper.) That thing looks like it could pop the tire if I hit it hard enough! . . .

Over all, I could definitely feel the benefit of the bigger tires already. My truck felt much more stable on the ramp. In fact, I think that ramp is too small now. . . . I can’t wait to see what these things can do on the trail! . . .

This weekend hopefully the trac-bar should be in. . . Then I'll feel a little more comfortable about running these tires hopefully without blowing up a 3rd. . .
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2007, 07:12:18 PM by Revivalist »
Check out our new organization, Outdoor Enthusiasts! It's a new and exciting way to raise money for trail supporting organizations! The best part is that you support trails without spending any new money!