Author Topic: Retirement savings...Rollover IRA questions!  (Read 2619 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement savings...Rollover IRA questions!
« on: Apr 05, 2007, 10:41:53 PM »
unless I misunterstand your question, I would dump it all into the Roth Acct, being as it is tax deferred...meaning no taxes on it till you withdraw...It's been a while and I am not 100% on whether the roth is tax deferred or tax exempt.

Upon more thinking, the Roth is tax exempt w/a max deposit per year of 2K.  The IRA is tax deferred, meaning no tax on deposited cash, until you withdraw.  so the idea is to put a bunch in your IRA, and transfer as much as possible into your Roth each year.

I thought you could put up to 3k in a Roth?  Don't forget, it is only tax exempt if you leave it in there the entire time (30 years, I think) 

CTENG, I'll ask my dad to think on this tommorow.  He's still healing up from his accident, so he doesn't have much to do, and he views investing as a hobby, he really enjoys it, so he knows a lot about it :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent