Author Topic: what size/brand winch?  (Read 6665 times)

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Re: what size/brand winch?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 31, 2007, 12:23:24 AM »
I have not read the entire thread so maybe this has already been said...

I don't think I have ever met someone on the trail with a WARN winch that didn't work.  I have met several people cursing their other brands saying they would spend the money for a WARN the next time.  It only takes one failure to wish you got the best.  It all depends on how much money you have to spend, how you plan to use it, and how much you are willing to risk to save a few coins.  There are certainly other quality brands that may perform flawlessly, but I think a WARN is a sure bet.

My dad has a Harbor Freight on his Blazer and it worked great the one or two times he has used it, but he wouldn't trust it if it was used every weekend.

:twocents:

You've got a good point, but there was a pretty big thread about warn vs. competition on pirate a while back and a lot of people said their warn has effed out on them. Of course, it wasn't the majority of people, and I'll bet that warn is more reliable than other electric brand winches, but still it doesn't seem anywhere near full proof.  Warns are nice because the line speed is much quicker. Mile marker type winches are pretty s...l...o...w... Anyway, just my  :twocents: ...  some people are luckier than others about these things.
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."