Author Topic: transmission noise  (Read 3143 times)

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 81
  • Male Posts: 750
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: transmission noise
« on: Mar 23, 2007, 08:08:15 PM »
yes its an 82  :smack: :smack: :smack:
5 speed
i now have power steering :beer: (and factory a/c). yes, its an sr5.

i know about the flange on the back. that was really loose once upon a time. god damn those things are hard to stake!!! i was beating it with a crowbar and sledge hammer just to try and stake it.

i havent really had a lot of time to go around and under the truck and see whats loose...but i have definatley thought about it. i think ive gone over and retightened every single nut/bolt/screw existing on this truck. most everything was loose when i bought it.

the reason i dont think its something loose and vibrating is because when i wiggle the shifter left and right in neutral it makes the same noise.  its quiet enough to not hear unless the window is down. i can only wiggle it and hear it when the truck is off, but thats because i have straight 2.25 pipes with a magnaflow and its loud inside the cab.

both plastic things were replaced that have to do with the shifter. the ball cup that goes on the end and the seat.
i just replaced the tranny oil yesterday and there was only miniscule metal bits on the magnetic drain plug. Nothing abnormal.  my tranny does whir in gear though :( especially 5th gear on the freeway! not at all really in 1-4.

there isnt very much on this truck i havent gone over and am framiliar with.  althought i havent built it from the ground up into a "finished" crawler its been given hundreds and hundreds of hours of work. hundreds of hours is a conservative estimate too. i have built a lot to make it trail ready. needs lockers now. thats a lot of freakin hours considering i am in high school and i have a full-time girlfriend. by the way today is our 1 year anaversary :love: i done bought her a purdy ring!
sorry i like to talk a lot lol

thanks for the help guys
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.