Author Topic: Re: Mormon POWAH!  (Read 14676 times)

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Mormon POWAH!
« Reply #120 on: Jan 15, 2007, 10:11:53 PM »
mormon's don't drink caffeine?

None of the ones I've known have.  Something to do with not taking "hot or strong drink" IIRC...and alcohol and caffiene are apparently considered strong.  Coffee is, naturally, both hot and strong (when brewed correctly) and thus not terribly popular.

It's a confusing religion to me, but then, most religions are.  I'm in the undecided camp, and the more I learn about most religions, the less I want to do with them.  They seem to have too much focus on other people's behavior, and not enough on the values and actions of the indivdual.  I explored Mormonism when dating a Mormon girl many years ago.  The missionaries the church sent to talk with me weren't prepared to start at zero, since I had no basic Christian faith for them to build on, so we didn't get far.  The girl later left me because I was not in her church.  She started stripping shortly thereafter and went downhill from there.  Despite that experience, I do have a couple of less confused friends active in the LDS church...none of which are likely to embark on a career of exotic dancing.

Just like anyone else who doesnt believe in Jesus Christ and the Bible.. I will talk about it! There is only one way to Heaven.. and it doesnt matter how good you are.. what works you do... nothing.. its only through Jesus Christ.. sorry.. not just my opinion..

Truth doesnt change depending on who carries it... truth is truth no matter what.

This is a big thing I don't understand, and am not comfortable with, about religions in general.  They are all so certain that their views are 100% correct, and are the ONLY true POVs.  Let's just say the odds are against them all being correct.  How am I supposed to know whom to believe?

I do feel strongly that my actions in daily life and how I treat other people ought to carry more value than which book I read or where I go on Sunday morning.  I can't understand how a person who lives a terrible life hurting others, but claims a belief in a specific religion or savior, can be better rewarded than one who does good all their life, but doesn't claim a religion, or even refutes it.  I don't think it's realistic to expect that person to take the advice of just anyone knocking on his door with a bible in his hand.  But then, I guess that is another topic for another day.

Thankfully, everybody is free to worship (or not) as they please.  So long as they're not hurting anybody else or spreading it where it's not invited, I don't care if they want to sing hymns, or cover themselves with ashes, or dance nekkid around a pentagram in their backyard, as long as they put up a decent fence and keep the goat blood spatter to a minimum.

Feel free to edit or delete if this is too far OT.