Author Topic: Thoughts on leaf spring suspension?  (Read 14394 times)

88stewy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on leaf spring suspension?
« on: Jan 05, 2007, 10:03:52 AM »
The other thing here that we need to remember is that we are using a "vintage style" suspension system to do something that they were never designed / engineered to do:  Rockcrawl!  The leaf spring set up gives many, many years of trouble free working suspension with a "not so bad" ride to the average / all around rig. 

I am NOT a suspension geek but would have to say that the leaf sprung rig is far from "hi tech" when it comes to using them for extreme wheeling.  yeah we can change the spring thickness, amounts of leaves and lengths but your still using an old school suspension system.  Now don't get me wrong, it still works pretty darn well for most all things but I think if you want a rig that is extremely capable you have to set it's suspension up for what it is going to be used for most of the time.

You will NEVER see a good competition rock buggy using leafs, they all use 3 or 4 links.  Why????  Because that is what works BEST in comp rock crawling, plain and simple!  Those buggy's see VERY LITTLE street time so why wouldn't they use the multiple link set up.  Leaf springs would hold them back from there max potential.

We all want (myself included) our trail rigs to perform at there peak best on the trail but the reality is that probably 90% of use our rigs for more then just crawling.  we drive them to School, work, the Grocery store or on a Sunday drive. 

Bottom line, remember what you use your rig for the very most, and build it around that.  To most of us (myself included) leaf springs will work out just fine most of the time.

There is my .02 cents for what its worth......
You only get one chance at this life, be a participant not a spectator.