Author Topic: Groups File Suit to Preserve Future Access to Surprise Canyon Road  (Read 3761 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Those who want vehicle access restored counter that the occasional Jeep can safely coexist with the plants and animals.

When the road was open, about 100 vehicles per year would take the difficult trip up the canyon, which still required trees, cattails and other plants to be cut down.

Environmentalists allege the vehicles have overturned and spilled toxic engine fluids into the stream.

"I don't know of any documentation that oil or gas or antifreeze has caused a die-off," the BLM's Crowe said.

Just to add another wrinkle, the creek is also eligible for protection as a wild and scenic river. But only Congress can make that designation.

Derham Giuliani, a 75-year-old retired biologist from the eastern Sierra town of Big Pine, was on his first trip into the canyon since the road disappeared two decades ago.

Standing at one of the waterfalls where the canyon is 20 feet wide, he marveled that any vehicles could get up there.

"I'd prefer it be closed," he said. "A riparian area like this is rare in the desert. I don't see how they could put a road back."

Bricker said he was worried more about preserving Panamint City.

"It wouldn't be as pristine, but on the positive side, you could preserve the best relics of the area," he said. "In 35 years, I'd like (my son) Noah to be able to bring his son and show him."

Bricker would like to see access for motor vehicles restored, which would allow maintenance of the aging historic buildings in Panamint City.

"It's hard to carry 4-by-8 sheets of plywood on your back," he said. "The off-roaders I know don't look at the falls as a challenge; they're trying to get to Panamint City."

The ghost town is within the boundaries of Death Valley National Park, and the park doesn't have the money or people to keep up the buildings there, said Terry Baldino, spokesman for the park. The only other way to access the town, besides the long, difficult hike, is by helicopter, he said.

The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you