Author Topic: need some help on a custom snorkel....  (Read 11261 times)

toyotatuner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Re: need some help on a custom snorkel....
« Reply #60 on: Nov 22, 2006, 11:58:58 AM »
MS, actually, oddmars idea is on the cheap too just fyi, some alum plate wouldnt be that expensive, and to get the radius, maybe a section of steel pipe and "roll" it around. as for the connections (sans welder) pop rivets should be fine. I really like the way its vented to the rear too, nice touch (no water)
 The reason im so adamant about makeing the water "weep" from the intake is because here in Hawaii it rains A LOT, and if this were on MY daily driver rig, a white out rain fall (happens at least 3 or 4 times a month) would really be way too much water @ 65 mph. So, please forgive me if'n im beating a dead horse, water intake from rain may not be an issue for some.
 So yes, a simple 90 deg would work for those in dry climates. Also Oddmars neat idea wouldnt nessesitate a weep hole for others as well(in dry areas).
 Now onto some other items that need to be addressed?
 #1: computer is in pass floor kick panel; needs to be moved
 #2: like glen said, fans gonna create drag, will it be electric?
 #3: exhaust; yes, IMO i have always knew this is a problem, but 4" above your pipe, not   
        too big a deal, just dont kill the engine, really look into a different setup
       I have an idea on that; ever saw one of those electronic bypass valves that connect to the exhaust, just hook one up and run a pipe up right past the cab(or wherever)
#4: ALL wiring should be waterproofed. one thought, im not sure how well it would work, but how about pulling connecters 1 by 1 and lubing em' up w/ some dielectric grease? would that help (ideas?)
 im sure theres more to be done, anyone else got any input?
-John