Author Topic: '84 Fuel Tank Replacement Issues  (Read 1550 times)

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
Re: '84 Fuel Tank Replacement Issues
« on: Nov 13, 2006, 03:06:03 PM »
I'll try to awnser your questions, but backwards...

You don't need to actually use the EFI pump in a new EFI tank...you can just hook that line up to your carbed motor's mechanical fuel pump, and it will suck gas right through the in-tank EFI pump like it is'nt even there. It's just an impeller pump...it won't block the flow of fuel. If it worries you, just remove the EFI pump and put a piece of rubber fuel line in it's place. The EFI pump Does have a neat little pre-filter screen on it, though, unlike the naked carbed tank pickup tube.

I would'nt mess with trying to regulate the high pressure EFI pump down to the 3-5psi your carb requires. It won't be good for the pump to be pushing so hard and being choked down by the regulator like that.

I've tried in-line aftermarket electric fuel pumps, but alot put out 5-9psi, which causes endless headaches...lol...save yourself the BS and avoid this. They are also VERY noisy, off and on.

I have several Toyota trucks, and i can check the length but i probably have a tank you can have, unless you are set on a new one. I don't use the stock tanks, i build new high-capacity tanks out of aluminum.

I have the same truck you do, an '84 XtraCab 4x4 with a carbed 22R, straight axle (sitting out back).
I also own an '87 standard-cab flatbed 4x4, carbed 22R, IFS front (sitting out back).
I also own an '87 standard-cab shortbed 4x4, carbed 22R, IFS front (sitting out back).
And yet another '87 4-runner 4x4, EFI 22RE, IFS front (sitting out back).

Currently sanding and painting an '84 4-runner 4x4, carbed 22R, straight axle (used to own it, sold to a friend).
And i also sold him my first '84 Xtracab 4x4, carbed 22R, straight axle (he wants me to sand and paint That, too).(For free, cause we're friends, right?...@#$%&*)
Also replacing an EFI motor (blown headgasket) in a customer's '90 XXtraCab 2x4 pickup.
And recently replaced the frame, from mid-cab back, on a customer's '87 standard cab 4x4 (my avatar)

Bit off-topic, but just wanted you to see i have some experience with Toys.
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2006, 03:13:26 PM by Oddmar »
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.