Author Topic: 20R-3.0 V6 swap  (Read 2127 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: 20R-3.0 V6 swap
« on: Oct 01, 2006, 02:22:25 PM »
Do I need the gas tank? And you mean motor mounts (Perches)?

yeah, he means motor mounts.  And yes, you will want that gas tank.  The 3.0 isn't great on fuel economy, so you'll want the extra capacity.  Not to mention, it is so much easier to use as much of the 3.0 components as possible.  :thumbs:

As far as the motors themselves go, I'm on my third, and each motor has been different!! I can honestly say that Toyota really had their head up their :moon: when designing this motor.  3 motors, 2 different years, 3 different wiring systems. :yikes: The swap can be a huge headache, and that is into a vehicle already wired for it.  If you're gonna do it, make sure you pull ALL wiring harnesses, and be prepared to go through them.  This is not fun.

A few questions
1. Do you have the donor vehicle, or are you just getting the drivetrain.
2. Have you done motor swpas before?  Do you have experience dealing with wiring diagrams and so forth.
3. Do you have patience?

If you don't have some of these, I would consider going the hybrid motor route.  If you do go the 3.0 route, feel free to ask me whatever questions you need answered :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent