Author Topic: Electric Locker- should I use it switched or cable actuated?  (Read 4183 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
FIREBALL did a custom cable setup and I didn't like it. He had to hold the cable down and drive with one hand while he waited for it to engage, and the same for it to disengage.

In my opinion, Cable is ok if you only engage and disengage your locker maybe 2 or 3 times a run.

As for me, I only use my locker when I loose forward progress, and as soon as I start moving again, it is immediately disengaged. The only exception would be if there is a huge crowd and I don't want to look like a novice. I like trying to do every obsticle open-open as much as possible. It gives me a challenge to pick the better line and keeps my skills sharp.

So I am constantly engaging and disengaging my e-locker over and over and over. I have a 3-relay setup that just uses a simple two-wire toggle switch and an "engaged" indicator lamp. All I do is flip the switch and keep driving. Then flip it back to disengage. I don't have to worry about "feeling the locker through the cable" or "is it unlocked, I don't know" or "I just need to drive a bit more while holding onto the cable". Annoying.

The way I see it is even if my Electric Motor or any of my wiring fails, all I need to do is pull out a 12mm socket and a ratchet and three bolts later I can engage or disengage it manually. No oil leaks and it uses an O-Ring to seal the motor down, so I don't have to worry about resealing it either.

Electric is convenient, simple, and nice. I have even engaged my rear locker while going around a corner on a freeway overpass at 80 MPH under throttle and it engaged so smooth I didn't even feel it. My indicator light just simply turned on. It was crazy. That e-locker is amazing

BigMike
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2006, 10:07:30 AM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki