Author Topic: So,how DID you get into wheelin'?.  (Read 5350 times)

Haz-matt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 33
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Jefferson State
    • View Profile
    • Haz-matt.com
Re: So,how DID you get into wheelin'?.
« Reply #30 on: Aug 03, 2006, 11:18:06 PM »
Table top role playing.  Yep, D&D (well it was Rifts but yall probably haven't heard of that) lead me to wheeling.  Let me 'splane....

Role playing lead me to web design so I could host my own work.  Well when I was looking at real world designs to convert to RPG stats I ran across Unimogs.  Well, I fell in love with the clasic MB 404 design and got interested in the way they could proform off-road.  This led me to to joining the unimog mailing list and going to unimog events. 

After a while I started looking in to the local wheeling activies through the old egroups system.  I hooked up with the local club and listened and watched what was going on.  At the time I owned an '85 nissan PU (yeah, a real hard core machine right there) and played a little with it on the ranch here while we where doing construction.  I found it to be almost worthless for wheeling with the mad skillz that I had at the time.

At that point I started going on some runs with the people that I now wheel with as part of my kore group.  I got to see a bunch of different rigs, toyotas, EB's, jeeps and see how they worked.  This was back in 2000 or so and the MC revolution hadn't hit in this part of the world yet.

I ended up selling my nissan in a bad deal and was rigless for a while but I continued to go with people when they had a seat.

After a few years I managed to get my own rig and I've been working on it ever since.
I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.