Author Topic: Switching from manual to electric fuel pump on 1st gen  (Read 19556 times)

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
I've never seen a 20R head with the hole for a mechanical fuel pump, none of mine have the hole. Doesn't mean they don't exist, i just 'aint seen none.

When i tell you there's no pump in the tank, don't argue, just nod your head and agree with me. Every Toyota truck with a carb/ stock 22R motor has a mechanical pump mounted on the head drawing fuel all the way from the tank, no pump in the tank, trust me, i've cut the danged tanks in half, welded different tops on them, etc.
And none of the 20R motors had a fuel pump in the tank, either.

The only Toyota trucks with a pump INSIDE the tank are the ones with Fuel-injected motors, and it's a high-pressure pump.

The instructions that come with most aftermarket electric fuel pumps DO say that they'll work better mounted near the fuel tank instead of all the way up by the motor, that they'll be happier pushing the fuel than sucking it all that way, on this i agree with you.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
And after re-reading your last post, are you sure you have a 20R head?...i really have Never seen any with a hole for the mechanical pump...could you have a 22R head/ intake with a 20R valve cover?...I've seen that before, and seen 22RE valve covers on 22R motors too.

You know how someone will be flapping thier lips, completely full-of- :bull crap:, and since you know alot about that subject it's really difficult to keep quiet? I'm not comparing you to that kind of person, just saying I can't stand being one.......

So, just to be sure, i went outside and pulled a valve cover off a 20R head (without a hole for a fuel pump, by the way), and one off a 22R head (with the hole) sitting a few feet away, and put the 20R cover on the 22R head...it fit's fine. Now, i don't know if you have enough experience to tell the difference between a 20R head and a 22R...i always just look and see if they have the mechanical fuel pump hole. It could be that you have a 22R head/ intake with a 20R valve cover...i know how much that would suck...sorry.

I also took pictures with my phone of all this, and if i can figure out how to post them i'll do so.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2006, 07:03:01 PM by Oddmar »
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.