Author Topic: Bent Axle??  (Read 5787 times)

Last

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Update
« on: Jul 12, 2006, 11:20:06 AM »
Soooo.....

I decided to assume the worst and started looking for a donor axle.... found it on an 87 4runner with a blown head gasket.  I didn't want the whole truck so I talked the owner into letting me pull the rear axle assembly and switch it for mine to the tune of $175.  (I always prefer to practice on someone else's rig   ;) )

So I dropped the old one and there were some definate problems.  It looks like the right rear took a pretty heavy hit.  Hard enough to shift the axle rearward about a 1/4inch, bend and sheer the leaf spring guide pin, and bend the axle/leaf spring mounting plate.  The leaf springs were missaligned as a result.

The wheel bearing was TOAST and the seal was getting there too.  Couldn't tell if anything else was bent.

The new axle was prepped and I switched the differentials (v6 vs 4).  I found a custom leaf spring/suspension shop so I didn't have to wait to order new U-bolts, guide pins, spacers, or brackets.  I should be able to get everything put back together tonight.

More good news:  I talked with THE sales manager of the dealership I purchased the truck from.  I explained all the difficulties I've had with the truck (there have been other, less serious issues) and it appears that they will pay for my parts.  I'll believe it when I see it but....

Can anyone recommend a good durable paint that'll hold up to some abuse, weather, oil, etc.?

So there you have it.  Thanks again for the help.