Author Topic: Freeze Plug Inspection: Need How TO! -- Got It!  (Read 4260 times)

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Re: Freeze Plug Inspection: Need How TO! -- Got It!
« on: Jul 06, 2006, 06:49:00 PM »
I figured it out...
I pulled the thermostat to keep from building up pressure in the system, put new clamps on the hoses I felt needed them, then fired her up.  Took a couple turns around the lot and sure enough, I cut the engine in the garage to be greeted by hissing and steam.  I'm looking all over thinking catastrophe, but when the steam finally calms down I pinpoint the culprit.  There is a hose...one end clamps under the throttle position sensor, the other a bit further aft into the intake plenum.  The clamp on the plenum end must have gotten knocked loose when I was reinstalling other hoses and it it is now dripping coolant onto the hot intake runners.  Should be an easy fix tomorrow after I let everything cool down.

On another note, previously I was having a devil of a time getting the timing and idle right on the engine...too high idle, I'd adjust, it wanted to stall.  Then today I just could NOT get the thing jumped.  Finally ran it down to a bad connection on the POS battery terminal.  Now she is idling right along with all here happy valve tap.  So, just a reminder for those having engine gremlins...don't forget to clean up all your electrical connections every once in a while, especially if you are like like me and enjoy frequently spraying your engine compartment with oil and coolant!

Now back to your regularly sheduled program.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0