Author Topic: What I have been up to....  (Read 2932 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: What I have been up to....
« on: Jun 09, 2006, 09:56:58 PM »
Rick, awesome results dude. I am glad that everything is working out great for you :beer:

I also suspect why the 3rz swap is so nice in the first and second gen trucks is because Taco's are quite a bit heavier so the motor feels more powerfull than if it was in a heavier Taco.
I completely agree with you. That is why when people with, for instance, 3rd gen 4Runners with 3.0s want to do a 3RZ conversion, I try to turn them to the 3.4 swap. The 3.0 and 2.7 are equally rated, and despite the fact that I FIRMLY believe that the 3RZ is more powerful, it doesnt seem justified to do the work of an engine conversion just to do something that is "rated the same". If you've got a heavy rig (4000+) then, although it may be better than what you've got now, you'd probably be better off with a 200+ ft-lbs torque engine like the 3.4 instead of the 2.7.

I have no doubt that a 3RZ in a 2WD 2nd gen truck would smoke a 3VZ in the same truck any day up any hill :burnout:

So my finaly option is that teh 3rz is WAY better for a trail rig swap than a 7M. teh 7M is just too high strung where the 3rz has tons of grunt with a great midrange power!
There you have it kiddies. Words of wisdom. 7M ---> :bowdown: 3RZ

Rick, do you have plans for our round up this Sept? I would love to meet you, you know that-

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki