Author Topic: project: 4Gunner  (Read 5709 times)

trailhunter

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 205
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Canadians like to give'r
    • View Profile
Re: project: 4Gunner
« on: Jun 05, 2006, 02:37:03 PM »
Well ive been dog-in it lately....but i got the back almost done. Everything but the tailgate.

sneaky little slide in bumper holes  ;D

tight with the body lines

I hate D-rings that are clanking off the bumper every two seconds so i tightend them up a bit

Welded up the rear 3rd with a peace of 3/8 plate. It much cleaner and easier to weld. ( NOTE: i wouldnt do this for the front 3rd.........we have, and it took hours to fix. The inners splines seem to fit into the 3rd a bit further than the rear so the knuckles didnt fit on properly........so a hole saw was required to shave down the plates that were in the way  ::). Needless to say it wasnt fun)

I went and picked up some beefy tube for my rear shaft...........its going to require a bit of watch work and a lath but im sure we can make it work :)

And now for the fun part  ::)...........Diff straightening time.
I cut off the bottom truss to have a better look and i couldn't believe how bent it was :o  It was out a 1/4 in 8inches

So Mr.Torch and the come along came out to play :)

I welded the short side to a peace of HSS and down to my welding table. The put a jack stand just on the left hand side of the bend. I then tighten the come along to were the housing looked straight . Then proceeded to use the torch on the bent side of the housing. I then used a damp rag right were i was heating it up with the torch so it would shrink. It worked pretty good but the housing had a major bend so might need to put a few relief cuts in the housing with the zip cut to allow the housing to me bent back into shape.